Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Highlights from watering day

I watered most of the succulents at the greenhouse today. Handling each plant gives me the chance to spot something new or revisit something interesting. First we have Echeveria 'Neon Breakers' which has been flowering for months now and shows no sign of fading away. I know a lot of people clip these flower stalks, but I'm new enough to this that I want to see what will happen.

Next is a two-tone Echeveria in one of my large bowls. This unknown probably came out of a Home Depot variety bowl a few months ago. The bottom is an old-looking green, but the new growth on top is a brighter blueish-green.

I mentioned yesterday that some plants arrive looking rather rugged but are able to recover. That was the case with Graptoveria 'Debbie,' like yesterday's Echeveria 'Atlantis' an April 30 arrival from Succulents Depot. Here it is today, followed by what it looked like two days after unboxing. 'Debbie' has a large offset that dominates the bottom of this image and is at left in the next image.

Yes, it recovered, but am I wrong for not wanting my new plants to look like this?