Sunday, August 30, 2026

Calling it

Today is the last update for a while for "Death of a Sempervivum part I," Unknown #5. I chopped off the flower stalk, which was mostly dried up. I put the seed head in a plastic bag and at some point will see if there are any viable seeds, and that would be the only reason for further updates. I cleaned up what remained in the pot, which consists of two offsets close together, as is usual with a heuffelii.

I also recently clipped one of the two flower stalks off of Echeveria 'Doris Taylor' and will preserve it for any seeds. Others Echeverias that have flower stalks that have not been clipped yet are 'Neon Breakers' and 'Topsy Turvy.' I don't really want to propagate a bunch of echeverias from seed, but I am interested to see if it is possible and whether they would breed true. That experiment would take a while.

"Death of a Sempervivum part II continues to play out with 'Powdered Pastry.' The flower stalk has five distinct branches, with the newest buds at the tips.