I am going to re-organize my "Death of a Sempervivum" pages now that a third Sempervivum, 'Cosmic Candy,' has begun its death spiral. Here is today's image.
I have started the process of moving the various succulents to their wintering grounds. It is still August so may seem early, but here at an altitude of 5,588 feet our average first frost date is September 12. The tender succulents are being moved to our garage which is heated to 50 degrees in the winter, and the hardy succulents are going to the greenhouse. I plant to heat the greenhouse to 50 degrees until mid-November, then reduce it to 10 until April. Zone 5a implies a seasonal low of -15 to -20. The lowest temperatures from last winter were -9 outside and +2 inside. It will be the first winter for most of the Sempervivums and all of the other hardy succulents and herbs (and strawberries), so I'm hoping that +10 will mean survival for all.
