Friday, June 26, 2026

Time for a new portrait

I have one aeonium, a 'Floresens.' I haven't gotten any more aeoniums because many varieties can get HUGE, and they are summer dormant. I'm not sure how to deal with summer dormancy. But sometimes I look at it and go, "That is a fine-looking plant." Such a moment was today.

Here it is back on March 13. This is about a week after I got it from Ramsey's. It has added more leaves and a couple of offsets. It got browner for a while, and now green again.

Looking back at unboxing photos from that shipment, all of the plants were in pretty good shape compared to some of the carnage I have seen from others. It is the reason I recommend Ramsey's as place to start when ordering online. They are the cheapest I have found and the quality is good, but the selection is not as extensive as Mountain Crest Gardens. Those two bigger pots at top center, Echeverias 'Lilac Mist' and 'Cubic Frost,' are what I expect to get when I pay more for a bigger pot. The 'Blue Curls' in the other larger pot was full of dirt and had some leaf damage. It is doing OK now but is not one of my favorites, to be blunt.

I put one of the 'Lilac Mist' rosettes in a big bowl with other stuff, and potted up the other three together. It is easy to forget that is an Echeveria. Here it is today: