As I wrote in "About this blog," back in January I just wanted a Jade plant. My succulent collection took off from there, and Jade has been at the forefront. The first Jade came home from Walmart January 17, and this is what it looks like today. It has been getting plenty of light so (I'm guessing) that is the reason for the dark burgundy color.
Here is the larger Jade acquired a month later from Ace Hardware. It is much greener than the other one, with just a hint of red on the rims of some of the leaves. The smaller one was a bit darker on Day One, but the difference has become more pronounced in the past four months. I keep saying I need to divide this pot, which has at least five stalks. To be honest, I'm afraid of succeeding and being overwhelmed with Jade plants. I already have a number of propagations going.
The small Jade originally had three stems, but one was rotting so I beheaded it. It is still alive but due to the short stem it is still less than an inch tall almost five months later.
I took several cuttings from the larger plant four months ago, and they are succeeding to various extents. This is one of the better ones and is about ready for its own terra cotta.
When I took the cuttings maybe three months ago, several leaves were stripped off the stems and four of them have been developing in the propagation bowl... VERY slowly. Finally there are little leaves coming out of several of them, with this one the furthest along.
I have acquired nine other Crassulas, some of which are spectacular ('Coastal Coral') and some of which have been blah ('Rosary Plant', the image is from four months ago and it doesn't look that good today). But Jade is the original. It is slow but steady and teaches you patience.



