My 'Perle von Nurnberg' got sold recently, and I always felt that I would replace it someday. That day came after just one week.
Every time I buy a succulent from the Walmart in Laurel, MT, I feel like I have liberated it from a dark prison. I want to grab whoever is responsible for assigning the unlit, cramped display space. "Succulents want LIGHT!" I would scream, politely, while trying to shake some sense into them. Walmart had three 3.5-inch and one 2-inch from Altman Plants in California on display...if you call a dark lower shelf a "display." I didn't want to start too far back, so I got one of the larger ones and this was the best of the bunch. I checked the label to make sure I didn't accidentally end up with another 'Red Sky.' (Phone photos today, I need a new phone with a better camera.)
The new acquisition immediately went under a grow light in the garage. I'll pot it up in a 6-inch terra cotta tonight and move it to the greenhouse in about a week. The goal for this new plant, of course, is to look like this within a few months.
You get the pastel color by giving the plant lots of light. I'm sure they are unaware of this at the Laurel Walmart, and I'm also sure they don't care. Two days later: I swear, the color is changing and softening already. Just give it some light!
Switching gears, I recently received a Sempervivum 'Hurricane' from Succulents Depot, and the little pot contained a mashup of two major pieces. I planted them together in the same pot. The smaller piece already had an offset growing.
What I have been noticing the past few days is the two show a significant difference: The larger one is webbed, the smaller one is not. But the offset growing out of the smaller one does have some webbing. I don't know what to make of it. The answer, as it is so often with succulents, is "We will see."


