My plant propagation bowls were getting to the point where I had to do something. In the image is the bowl (#1) where most of the little plants were, and there is an almost identical bowl (#2) that had some that weren't quite so far along. (Bowl #1 has drainage holes; bowl #2 does not.) My best guess is there were about 70 little plants in these two bowls and scattered around in a couple of other locations.
As much as I dislike 2" plastic pots, I collected all that I could find (45) and filled them with a mix of coir and pumice. I transferred most of the succulents out of bowl #1 and a few from the other locations, gave them a shot of water, and put them under grow lights in the garage.
I consolidated what remained in bowl #2, which leaves bowl #1 available for something else. The current plan is to divide up the plant I believe is a Graptopetalum paraguayense 'Ghost Plant' and put the pieces in bowl #1. I will probably behead the two remaining big rosettes (it started with four) and plant those along with what's left. Here it is a couple days ago. This doesn't show all the little rosettes sprouting out of the stems, but there are at least six of them. I probably won't behead any of the little rosettes right away, but that will happen someday. As I recall there also are two loose leaves that may be sprouting. There were two other big rosettes that made their escape earlier.
June 26 update: I did the 'Ghost Plant' beheadings and planted all the pieces in bowl #1. The original root ball is still mostly intact and was too tall for this bowl, so I put it in the middle and mounded the soil. The two big rosettes are on the flanks, and I removed quite a few leaves which are now scattered around. There are two leaf sprouts on the back side, one of which looks good and the other is a bit iffy. So far I'm pleased, and we'll see how the mounding works. Regarding the two previously-harvested rosettes, one is in a large bowl with other succulents, and the other is in a 4" plastic pot.
Over at the greenhouse, there are a few stray leaves that are in their original pots with their parent plants so I will know what those are as they develop. But I have little idea what most of them are in the 45 little pots shown above. The big Jade leaves at left are pretty obvious, and the ones with pointy leaves are probably 'Little Jewel,' but the rest are mostly a mystery. I have kept good track of the plants I have purchased, including date acquired and from whom, but tracking dozens of leaves that may or may not sprout is a bit much. I'll try to look at is as part of the adventure as they reveal themselves.
This is the leaf propagation that is furthest along. I believe I stole this leaf from my nephew's back yard in Texas in February and I don't know the variety. I put it in a 4-inch plastic pot three months ago and it is now 1.5 inches wide and 5/8ths of an inch high. It is wider but not any taller than it was a month ago, which is the next image. I counted the leaves, and there are now 19 versus 12 a month ago. It is now in the greenhouse after spending a few months under grow lights, and with all that light it has developed just a bit of color on the tips of the leaves. I considered giving it a terra cotta to mark its promotion to the greenhouse, but it would still be just a 4-inch pot and I decided not to disturb it and will let it ride in the plastic for now. Maybe when it is two inches wide it will move into clay.
June 24
May 23





