Thursday, July 16, 2026

Upward and onward

I planted a few Aloe and Delosperma in 8-inch terra cotta pots (full height) that were on hand, but I was loath to buy more large pots because prices increase exponentially as size increases. The squat pots (half height for succulents) I have gotten on Amazon almost double in price as you move from 6-inch to 8-inch. I finally broke down and got two 8-inch squat pots. The plants selected to move up from 6-inch were two Sempervivums, Chick Charms 'Powdered Pastry' and Unknown #3. 'Powdered Pastry' is surrounded by offsets that were pressing up against the edge of the previous pot but did not spill over. Now there is room to spread.

Unknown #3 moved up from a 4-inch pot less than two months ago, and its offsets were overhanging the edge even then. With a little twisting they all fit inside the new pot. I did not water the plants, but there are water drops because I sprayed them to get the dirt off the leaves and to keep the soil from blowing away. These particular Semps are sitting outside to catch some rays, but the wind is 16 mph at the moment, not unusual for Montana. What we say when the wind starts gusting at 30 and beyond is, "At least we don't live in Wyoming."

Images of the two Semps in their previous pots are in the post "Here All Along" from July 5.

Potting up freed up a 6-inch squat pot for another Sempervivum, the one I call the Little Survivor. I have changed my mind several times about whether it is related to the three rosettes of webbed Unknown #1, which was lost in the February Semperpocalypse. It started as a dried-up little ball that rolled out of the Plants for Pets box in January and took several months to come alive.

It took a while to develop, but I do see the resemblance now to the late Unknown #1. It also doesn't look that much different than the main rosette of Sempervivum 'Hurricane,' which also came with a companion that may or may not be related. It came from Succulents Depot April 30.