Thursday, July 2, 2026

A little 'Little Jewel'; Red Sky takes a tumble

The Pachyphytum compactum 'Little Jewel' continues to make the news. An offset has appeared around the base of the plant.

Already faceted.

As I have mentioned, the aloe at the greenhouse took a beating from the deer before I gave up and moved them all inside. They are all on the back of the bench under the shelf where they get bright but indirect light. I was reaching back there to water them today hoping to help with their recovery when I knocked Echeveria 'Red Sky' off the bench to the gravel floor. It landed upside-down and somehow was not damaged, but it spilled a lot of potting mix into the gravel. As I was repotting it, I took the opportunity to clean up some old leaves. A couple of the leaves looked semi-viable, so I stuck them in dirt. The plant has more of a stem than most of my other Echeverias, and I hope it just keeps getting taller until I have to behead it. It seems the only consequence of today's tumble is the dirt in the gravel.