Friday, September 11, 2026

Moving up

I got a stoneware plant pot at the local farmer's market last weekend and decided what to put in it today. It is slightly wider but a lot deeper than the 6-inch squat pot in which Echeveria 'Lilac Mist' previously resided. I don't know if the pot's oval shape is intentional, but it is not real noticeable unless are looking down from above. 'Lilac Mist' does not look like most Echeverias, perhaps because it is actually a Sedeveria, i.e. a hybrid with Sedum. I received it from Ramsey's March 7 and they called it an Echeveria, so that's how I describe it in my succulent list.

When I received it, there were four stems. Three went into the squat pot and the fourth (pictured below) was planted in the Montage Bowl. It is more upright and compact than the other three, and the tips are red, so I went back and checked to make sure that is what it is. It is.

Here are the three rosettes just after they were potted March 11. There is definitely some growth since then.

Moving the 'Lilac Mist' freed up the 6-incher for Echeveria 'Lime n Chile,' which freed up a 4-inch ceramic for my most successful leaf propagation to date. To keep the chain going, I moved a colorful little plant from the propagation tray of two-inch pots to a four-inch plastic pot. I haven't try to keep IDs on leaf propagations, but it may be a Pachyphytum 'Apricot Beauty.'

I would like to have more terra cotta pots available now to pot up some succulents that have outgrown their 4-inchers, but I have resisted buying more because in a month I hope to have the potted Sempervivums transitioning into a greenhouse planting bed. That plan would free up two 8-inch squat pots, two 6-inch squat pots, five regular 6-inch pots, and one 4-inch pot.

In other news, both of my Echeveria 'Blue Rose' plants which did fine all summer have decided to turn yellow and die. I got them from Succulents Depot April 30, so there was no sign of this for four months. The one in the big blue ceramic started losing its leaves first, then the one in the 6-inch terra cotta did the same. The interweb gives possible causes as not enough light or overwatering. They were on the bench in the greenhouse all summer so got plenty of light, and I am careful about overwatering succulents. No other plants are showing these signs, although in recent months I did lose the 'Jellybean' Sedum which was in a 3D plastic pot, which did tend to hold onto moisture. At this stage of my succulents education, I am not going to replace fragile varieties that fall apart ('Rainbow,' ugh!). I have that tray of 40 propagations that want to move into those pots. And that's not to mention the dozens of Sempervivum offsets that could live on their own. I just put an 'Appletini' offset in a combo bowl to replace a little Crassula cv. 'Buddha's Temple' that I gave my sister.